Page Updated 10/06/2015)
“College Biology” Volume 1 of 3 “The Chemistry of Life” through “Genomic Proteomics”
Download PDF (free)
Buy Print Version USD $39.20 (paperback, grayscale, 513 pages) Lulu.com ISBN: 978-1-312-39233-5
Contents Volume 1
Unit 1. The Chemistry of Life
Chapter 1: The Study of Life
Chapter 2: The Chemical Foundation of Life
Chapter 3: Biological Macromolecules
Unit 2. The Cell
Chapter 4: Cell Structure
Chapter 5: Structure and Function of Plasma Membranes
Chapter 6: Metabolism
Chapter 7: Cellular Respiration
Chapter 8: Photosynthesis
Chapter 9: Cell Communication
Chapter 10: Cell Reproduction
Unit 3. Genetics
Chapter 11: Meiosis and Sexual Reproduction
Chapter 12: Mendel’s Experiments and Heredity
Chapter 13: Modern Understandings of Inheritance
Chapter 14: DNA Structure and Function
Chapter 15: Genes and Proteins
Chapter 16: Gene Expression
Chapter 17: Biotechnology and Genomics
Advantages of Adopting this Textbook
- Price. PDFs are free. Printed books only $39.00*. Funds beyond costs go to the evaluation and creation of additional free and inexpensive printed open textbooks.
- Comparable biology textbooks cost $180 – $225.**
- Class relevant. Adopt only the volumes you need. Make the textbook yours.
- Comprehensive with current content.
- Pedagogically enhanced.
- Authored and reviewed by the academic community.
- Original textbook prepared, published, copyrighted, and released with an open license (CC BY) by Rice University’s Openstax College.
- Text is available in various e-formats at Rice University’s Connexions (cnx.org)
- Open licensed. Fearlessly copy, print, remix. Add to it. Take away. Rearrange. Create class-specific content. (Textbook Equity can help you with that.)
Advantages of Buying a PRINTED Copy
- Easier to read and navigate.
- You have the right to give or sell the book to others.
- You can mark it, copy pages, tear out pages, and use it for kindling.
- It looks more impressive on your bookshelf than a blank, dusty space.
- You can read it anytime you wish, even decades later.
- There may be a secondary market.
- Honestly, you know the benefits of having a ” hard copy.”
Features of All Volumes
- Chapter summaries.
- Review questions.
- Critical thinking questions.
- Answer keys.
- Key terms by chapter.
- Embedded supplemental learning links.
- Attributions, credits, and textbook provenance.
*Price at Lulu.com Other sources may be higher.
** For textbook price comparisons see “Anatomy of a Textbook“.
***Printed in high quality grayscale to keep costs low.